Thursday, August 14, 2014

Medford: Deployment Ceremony

So this post is a bit overdue, but on Wednesday the 16th I got up early in the morning and myself and another military wife made the 5 hour drive down to Medford to attend the Oregon Army National Guard deployment ceremony that was happening for the 186th Infantry. For anyone who doesn't know, my husband is a Staff Sergeant and has been in the military the entire time that we have been a couple. This is his second combat deployment; his first was to Iraq in 2009-2010.
I got there a couple days before the ceremony so that we had time together. Conveniently enough, the hotel shared a parking lot with the armory and Andy was able to just walk back and forth between reporting and being released. 
Medford was unbelievably hot, breaching 100 degrees, and I think I had the AC in the hotel room at 68. Unfortunately, the ceremony was in a Gymasium in Ashland and there were no fans or AC and I'm fairly certain all of Oregon was crammed into those bleachers. I was smooshed shoulder to shoulder with a high profile politician and my M-I-L. 
The ceremony itself was ... disappointing to say the least. These types of things are never fun to be at but this event in particular was sort of botched. The speeches were very cookie cutter and those who got up behind the microphone could hardly peel their eyes from their scripts. To make things worse, our own state rep made the grave error of referring to the 186th as a cavalry division. There were a lot of perturbed faces under those camo caps. 
All the other speeches were redundant. "We'll take care of your family while you're gone." - "You are so brave." - "We WILL make sure your family is taken care of." Words like this are sort of a slap in the face to the soldiers and to those of us left behind. Once our men (and women) leave, we are pretty much on our own. Luckily, the ceremony only lasted about an hour and I watched as what could have become the worst Zombie Apocalypse situation formed around the only exit. It probably took us another 20 minutes to get out into the fresh air. We hung around for a little bit so I could take some pictures and then we all bounced to go get some Kaleidoscope Pizza (DELICIOUS). 
The following day we said goodbye between lots of tears and clutching. My friend and I climbed into the car in silence and drove away from our other halves. Fortunately, the scenery from Medford to Portland is unreal and I used it as an excuse to stare out the window in teary-eyed silence. One more leave before Afghanistan, this time in Texas. 
Have some photos:


Andy and Dad

Andy and Mom

Ishack and Jessica


Stosh, Johnny, Andy, Ishack
Stosh, Johnny, Andy, Ishack

Johnny and Allie
Photographed by Johnny. Thanks, Johnny! <3

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Ashley, and the photos are incredibly gorgeous. I am always so touched by the stories shared by our military families. How can we be anything but grateful for your sacrifices? I wish your husband and his colleagues a safe and speedy return home.

    ReplyDelete