Sunday, August 17, 2014

Humira

So I've been dealing with Psoriasis since I was 11. It sucks. A lot. It is an incurable, non-contagious Autoimmune disorder and the symptoms are widespread inflammation of internal organs, skin, and sometimes joints (Psoriatic Arthritis). Someone without Psoriasis sheds their skin cells about every 28 days, an individual with the disease sheds every 3-4 days which is why you will see us with scaly patches on our arms or other areas of our body. For some people, they only experience small patches that flare up every once in a while. For some, like me, they are ultimately going through a constant flare up. I have been on several kinds of yucky medications, I have been without medication and been in a constant state of flare up, I've also been on nasty medications that made me sick and didn't work.

Two weeks ago I finally was able to start Humira. If you've seen commercials on TV for it, you know that it is being marketed for Psoriasis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Crohn's, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am fortunate to be able to try it. My Kaiser Permanente health plan only covers 50% of it which means it still costs $1600/month. Because Andrew is active duty I also am covered under Tricare military insurance which brings my grand total to $13 every two months.

Humira (adalimumab) is what's known as a TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor) blocker. TNF is ONE cause of inflammation in Psoriasis patients and because our immune system is in overdrive we are producing more than we need. The Humira attaches itself to TNF and helps to reduce the inflammation and pain associated with it. However, this is detrimental to our immune system and can lead to an increased risk of infections and serious illness. Unfortunately, you have to decide whether or not the risks outweigh the benefits.

So, to start, they send you a Psoriasis Starter Pack. This includes 4 self injector pens. The schedule works like this: Day 1: Administer two 40mL pens, Day 8: Administer one pen, Day 22: One pen, and then one pen every two weeks after that.

Google image.

Injecting yourself with the pen is simple enough. You remove the caps on both ends of the pen, pinch the skin on your thigh or belly where you intend to inject, press the pen down on your skin and push the button. A spring loaded needle is released into your skin and the serum starts flowing. However, the serum burns terribly while going in and it takes 10 seconds for it to finish. Pressing that button is like ripping off a strip of wax from your own skin. Only, the pain lasts a little longer. Generally they say you'll see results in about 12 weeks.

For me, the results have started immediately. After the first day I started to immediately see a reduction in inflammation. Today, I am 85% clear of scales. There is some redness where the scales used to be but this is an amazing improvement. Hardly any itching, no cracking, no flaking. I'm starting to look like a human being instead of a Psoriasaurus. Will keep updating on the progress. Hopefully the positive results continue with very few negative side effects.

Anyhow, that was my informative post for the year! Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment